Monday 28 May 2018

Stages of life

One of the nice things about life is the various stages. The carefree and innocent, the growing into an adult, getting a job and having your own money, having babies - I have learnt that it is a good thing that women stop having babies at a certain age though! Growing into yourself and your character, then having more time to be carefree again (within the limitations of income sadly!)

I have always found time to do my stitching, whether it's making clothes for children, or quilts, or more frivolous things, but I am currently enjoying the more time to be carefree again - actually I'm loving it.

The Spring (Ha! - next Spring) quilt is coming on after a few weeks of abandonment.
Nearly all the leaves are sewn on and I'll be able to start on the flowers. The good thing about leaving something and picking it up again is that it never feels like a chore,  you get that just-started enthusiasm all over again.

I spent a couple of happy hours yesterday sorting out little projects
This will be to take on holiday in a month. I'm going to make all the centres and just take white yarn (cotton/acrylic - some Tilda Svarta colours and some Bergere de France white). I'll have to see how much white I need and make the right number of inner circles as I only have four balls of white. It has been discontinued.  I'd love to be able to get the Tilda Yarn here but it is only available in Europe (Denmark ships) but it works out really expensive. It has more 'give' than 100% cotton and is easier on the wrist. It isn't as heavy either. I might make some enquiries about  potential UK stockists.

I was disappointed with the yarn I got (Scheepjes Secret Garden). It is hard to work with and has different thicknesses through the ball. I remade the squares a few times but have decided to use the yarn I have until it is finished and not continue with the whole blanket. 
These squares were all done from the same ball with the same sized hook. I have three more coloured balls - enough to make a six by six block. They are about three inches each, so only a large cushion front. It was hard work on the wrists and although it is a silk blend it feels stiff and lumpy. 

Whilst searching for little scraps of fabric for the July Mini-Quilt I discovered a purchase from a couple of years ago when Steph and I went for curtain fabric. 
A Tilda Bag kit (nothing to do with the Tilda Yarn - same name, different company). I'll cut this out today ready for 'knocking up' when the sewing machine is next out. £3.99 for a large chunk of Tilda fabric is a good buy.
The July Mini Quilt is ready to stitch and the pattern is already written for class.  At some point I will make them available through the blog if anyone wants to stitch the year's quilts.
On the subject of fruit, I'm enjoying the soft fruit season - especially the juicy sweet doughnut peaches in the shops now. This time of year is my favourite for fruit. Oh and when my Victoria Plums are hanging from the tree.
I have a feeling it's not going to be such a good year this year - no blossom has appeared yet. 

So, on my list today:
  • Bag up John's university stuff for him to sort and store in his own loft(!)
  • Iron (I still seem to have a large pile of Will's clothes somehow)
  • Rake the lawn and de-weed the paving slabs
  • Tidy my 'pile' on the dining room table. It just gets bigger and bigger until I get sick of it - I'm sick of it now and have a friend coming over to make a patchwork rabbit so we need the space.
  • Try to hold back on the new design I have (shh it's a Christmas one) - I can't stop going back to it.
  • See my babies - Ben wants to sleep over.
  • Make a shopping list and do some cooking
  • Embroider the mini-quilt
  • Possibly finish painting the BAKE letters
  • Stare into space
Until next time xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment