Sunday 14 October 2018

Embracing Autumn

Like Autumn, a little late in October I have finished the Mini-Quilt for October
Complete with hand-painted button and fabrics from my very precious stash of Nancy Halvorsen and Sandy Gervais.  I loved being able to give buttons to the ladies at the class so that they could use them too.
So, whilst searching for suitable fabrics for the mini-quilt I came across some other stuff, quite old now, maybe about 10-15 years!  As I'm on a mission to house my half finished projects, or keep stuff together for planned projects I decided to make a bag for my Linden Bee Shawl.

I really enjoyed these little projects
Making things in the right season grounds you somehow. The weather is much more autumnal now although still warm. The vibrant colours are fading to soft light greens and beige, with some trees almost bare after the strong winds we had this week. A good heavy shower of rain on Thursday/Friday is adding that damp autumny feel to the days, as are the morning mists, their soft greys clothing the bushes and revealing the spider webs with little crystal droplets.

Yesterday was a day of no plans, so after a trip with Will to get hen food and other supplies, I cosied up on the sofa and began my Linden Bee Shawl. (Can I just say how patient I was winding the yarn into balls - each took an hour would you believe?) 1200 metres of silky loveliness.
The darkest skein is the original and the other two arrived in the post this week. I must say it is better to buy stuff you can see as the middle shade is very similar to the dark one and the lighter shade is quite grey in comparison with the pictures.
 On my computer screen the image below is much truer to the actual colours.
The drape and feel of the Mulberry Silk is just wonderful. I've made a few scarves and shawls that I can't wear next to my skin because they itch too much.  That was in the early days and I am much more aware of that when I buy yarn.  There is enough for two although early indications are that mine is not going to be as big as the one in the pattern. I may do a few more increase rows. I'm nearly halfway across and a few inches short although I'm not sure how much it will grow when I block it.

I made Florentines this week - they are so easy. I have to double up so there are enough for the Thursday Quilters and Cake Friday at work.
Oops can you see the nibble out of one? Must be mice. Just the chocolate to add. This recipe spreads out so they are thin and delicate, like brandy snaps. I might try putting seeds in - sunflower and pumpkin sound good. I love the way they are different shapes - the shop bought ones are usually thicker and harder and too uniform.

I'm going to knuckle down today and do some cooking for the weeknights when I get home too tired to make anything. Last week I didn't,  and ended up eating junk, cheese on toast or sometimes nothing. Bad girl.

Today I am going to start with the least favourite jobs before the stitching traps me with its silky bonds.  I've finished the patterns for the November and December Mini-Quilts so I may add them to my to-do list today (I like to have more than I can possible manage so that I don't waste time).

I've been commissioned to make three full size Christmas Stockings and a Mini Stocking so I'll need to get my thinking cap on for those. Happily I can use the designs for classes to come so that is good. I have to say I'm rather frustrated with the choice of Christmas Fabrics over the past few years. Pinks, turquoises and purples don't do it for me. Seasons and traditions have a unique language of colours, that's what makes them precious, comforting and rooted in their natural place.
This design, by Nancy Halvorsen was originally for a wall quilt but I translated it to painting a few years ago. I love to make the shapes look like they are made of fabric. I feel like I am cutting my fabric designing teeth here. One day maybe, one day.


No comments:

Post a Comment