Sunday 27 October 2013

Turn on the broadband Gladys

Couldn't get to blog last week but I didn't notice straight away that Ben had switched off the router. It took so long to reset it was past my bedtime so apologies to those who checked by and found no news.

We had a lovely time at the quilt class last Thursday. Everyone was working away at their chosen blocks and it was good to see some ladies tweaking the designs to suit themselves. Quilting is about what you like and what you find enjoyable after all.  

Sometimes basic techniques come first and sometimes the design is more important and the techniques are perfected later.  There is no right or wrong way - some things work better than others - it's all part of the journey.



We had Lemon Yoghurt Bars by Donna Hay at the break and my favourite standby for busy times - palmiers.  
A sheet of puff pastry covered in sugar, rolled up then sliced and baked.  If you get fresh puff pastry you can bake half and freeze some for later. Sometimes I substitute grated parmesan for the sugar for a lovely savoury bikkie.
A lovely parcel was waiting for me on Thursday - a Knit Pro Symfonie circular needle.  I started the collar but it looks quite a bit smaller than the picture.


I didn't discover until I finished it this afternoon that the cast on edge is the bit that sits round your neck so is the smaller opening. 
I hope you can see the lovely nuances of colour, from soft hyacinth blue through jade green and purple.  It's beautifully soft too. I'll post a pic when I have blocked it.

Bernice - you asked about binding.  I did a reply on my phone but it didn't publish so I'll point you towards the tab at the top called Square in a Square where I have put a photo tutorial with instructions for binding at the end.  If I want to make a wide binding I usually cut a 3" strip and fold it in half with the wrong sides together then sew it on to the quilt front (in your case the blanket) front with a generous half inch seam, possibly three quarter inch seam depending on the thickness of the blanket. You can also use wide satin ribbon which is lovely for a baby - they seem to like the feel of satin.

When I was reading the Little Cotton Rabbits Blog I noticed Julie has a little block with 'Knit' on the top bar.  I painted a block a little while ago with a beehive on but I thought it would be nice to do something like Julie's. So these two are on their way.
Can you see the little tiny pair of knitting needles that Sandra gave me? I am going to do a tiny piece of knitting and a tiny little quilt to put on the blocks.  They are only about 10cm square though so they really will have to be small.  I need to do another two now for crochet and painting, I suppose I should do one for baking too!  How many blocks would you need?

Now though my thoughts are turning to Christmas designs.  Hilary has booked us for a Christmas stocking workshop at High Street Quilting on 7th December.  I will be finishing the designs this week as I have a couple of days off.
I'll be doing a couple of traditional Christmas colours and a couple of lighter colours. I have also got some sketches ready for a Cookie Cutter Swag.  First there is the small matter of Halloween this Thursday which happens to coincide with our next quilt class - so what do you reckon - should it be trick or treat?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brendie
    the blocks are really looking good,can't wait to see the knitting on the little needles x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brendie - you rascal - taking a secret picture of me sewing while Alison/Mavis is giving me a helping hand! Ha ha! Of course, you are forgiven as your baked cakes and biscuits were so yummy!! Really looking forward to tomorrow night's class - will try and remember my fabric and buttons I got at Liberty's in London for a mini show 'n' tell!

    ReplyDelete