Sunday, 25 October 2015

Peaceful pieceful weekend

After a quiet Friday at work I was looking forward to an even quieter weekend.  John and Steph are away in Tenerife and Will went out at 9.30 yesterday and didn't come back until sometime after midnight (I think).  I got a video call from John on Wednesday night and had a 'look' round their apartment. There were two naked boys lolling about after a day on the beach (Ben and Max) - John was fully clothed!  How different from the holiday communication when I went with them at that age.  We had to find a shop that sold phone cards (at vast cost)  and then ring to say we had arrived safely - that was about it.

Yesterday I tidied, washed, dusted and vacuumed, then settled down, with the fire on very low because it was cool and gloomy yesterday, to quilt until I could quilt no longer. I have to say it was nice not having one son saying "it's cold in here" and the other one saying "it's hot in here". Guess which one works outdoors!  Will spends most of his time at work outside (or on a tractor) and then most of his free time outside either working on his car or bike, or building something in the garden.

I had already sewn together a quantity of half square triangles at class on Thursday night.  Everyone was busy making things and only needed a light touch on the teacher front. I took some pear and almond frangipane squares and was very strong willed - not a crumb passed my lips.  Countdown to Christmas diet is still on track.
I used some half square triangles to make flying geese because we were talking about 'no waste' flying geese.

Then I laid out pieces for the top section of a second version of my 'Making Merry' quilt.
 I drew lines for the seam allowances on every piece
 And sewed them together,
 Section by
 Section, by section
 Until I had every part ready to assemble
 I tried to make sure that no two similar pieces touched, and still had to unpick some....
The last pic was taken later when I had to turn the lights on but I was determined to finish this part last night.

I didn't have to cook an evening meal so I just kept going until bed time.

Bit the same today. I had a half hour Skype conversation with John and Steph. Then I sewed the borders on to the appliqued quilt (by machine this time) and sandwiched it.  I got my quilting bits and pieces out ready.
But then I remembered I wanted to finish my Autumn Leaf block.  I decided to make a table topper for a little coffee table.
I managed to get a bit of appliqueing done before the light faded (an hour earlier of course)
I much prefer the appliqued version although I still find it hard to work with a limited palette.  This one is destined for Steph.  I'll reveal all when it's done.

So now I am sitting with my hand on an ice pack and waiting for the American F1to start, weather permitting. They had 8" of rain yesterday. There's a delicious smell of roasting pork wafting in from the kitchen. The house is quiet and tidy for a change, I love it. 

I'm taking two days off next week and have a huge list of things to do, which I know I will not get through but I don't want to waste any precious time.  When I say I have a huge list to do, I don't just mean things in the house and chores, I mean visiting my lovely friend in Whitley Bay and stitching and, hopefully, painting on the Hill.  I might take a stroll along the beach if the weather is kind. The fresh sea air is a wonderful tonic. We have our Christmas Fair at school at the end of November and I am busy making things for that too. This peaceful weekend has been just what I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment