Monday 2 October 2017

Making pixels

Aren't the minds of games designers marvelous? For years we have been trying to get cameras with more and more pixels for a sharper picture.  To the point of it becoming bragging rights on phones - mine's got 22 billion pixels, that's nothing,  mine has 22 billion and one.... and yet one of the most popular games (Minecraft) is made to look like extra large pixels. A boring blocky landscape that a four year old can build. That did make for an easy birthday cake though for Ben's fifth birthday yesterday.
After cutting out hundreds of 'pixels' (each measuring 13mm) the vanilla cake was covered and filled with chocolate ganache
It was so simple to assemble - a building block covered in greens and browns with another block on top with reds oranges and yellows to represent a lava flow (or yava as Ben calls it).  On top is the pickaxe used to cut  blocks. (or Pigaxe as Ben calls it - he has a language of his own).  Ben and Grace fought over the pigaxe but they settled for one to have the handle and the other the blade.

I also made some pecan shortbread this week - although  I had to use Choc Chips on half the mixture because nuts make Will gag.  He took some down to Alex's, some went to the Thursday night Quilt class and the rest went to work. It was gone before lunch, in fact one of the osteopaths had a piece for breakfast. Health Care professionals eh?

So not much on the stitching front this week.  I trimmed all the blocks I made for the Quilt As You Go demo quilt. I won't be doing another black background for a while. 
The one in the centre was a mistake - I made a nine inch block instead of a twelve inch block and had to add extra edging. I should be to get this assembled this week, on my strange day off. My weekends are Sundays and Wednesdays. It's taking some getting used to.

The baby quilt was delivered this week - she loved it thank goodness. I was a bit worried it would be too bright. She has ordered a Christmas stocking for the baby which I can make but not assemble because she is not announcing the baby's name until he is born. I hope it's not a really long one!

So I need to go and get ready for work now. It's blowing a gale outside - plays havoc with my hair.  I take Ben to school on a Monday and then get to work for 10.  

Until next time. B xx




No comments:

Post a Comment