Wednesday 28 February 2018

Time to shake my conifers

Coming towards the end of February is making me feel that time is passing so quickly this year. I can hardly believe that we are nearly into the third month. I know perceptions of time change as you get older but it still comes as a shock. Does time pass more quickly when you’re busy and we are all running around so much that we don’t take time to breath? It seems like old hat to say this but what is the answer? I can’t say I don’t take time for myself because I do - uninterrupted time spent drawing and stitching and even watching television.

As the nights get lighter I’ll be tempted out into the wilderness that is my garden, although at the moment the only fruitful job is to shake the snow from my trees and shrubs

That is not a black and white picture!
 This is my car yesterday - half swept of snow. but the roads were clear.
This was the scene last night - snow going sideways. It took me two hours to get home. It looks like a sprinkling of snow on top of the car but it was actually hail stones that had stuck to the roof.  They had come down so hard that we had to shout to be heard over the noise of ice hitting the car. The A1(M) was at a near standstill and the cars were having to take turns going down a particularly steep section. I am so glad it is my day off today.  I live at the top of a particularly steep hill and no traffic is going by so I'm guessing the road has been closed.

There are some however who love the snow
 Ben on his way to school yesterday. It's shut today and his cousin Grace is coming round to play.
Max loves the snow and Steph had a hard time getting him back in the house.  Ben gave him chicken pox - he has a big blister next to his eye and loads on his body. Ben is recovering now, just a bit scabby!

Will had to walk to work today. He has a BMW which are notorious for being bad in the snow.

So today I'm stitching, strangely enough.
I made an egg cosy at the weekend, this was a tester for the size and today I'm going to make some more with other designs on.
First tracing the designs on to fusible web - I love this stuff and buy it in 5m rolls! My favourite is Heat'N'Bond.
 A little embroidery and cutting out the lining
Trimming away the excess wadding helps the shape. So now on to a little duckling, an egg and maybe some bunting.

I decided to make some more brownies this week for class. Coconut flour brownies won the day with teaspoons of Biscoff. I think I prefer the caramel rather than the Biscoff.
They were incredibly rich - from a lovely book which should really be on the banned list!
I'm having a chocolate free March so I'll either have to bake alternatives or not eat the things I've made. Should be the latter shouldn't it? Perhaps I should put chocolate in every week.

I was asked if I could bring a flower pattern to make for a WI event (?) I remembered the fabric one I made at the Crafts House.  Sandra gave us a wooden pattern and we cut out three papers (and then fabric ones). 
I used some gorgeous liberty fabric given to me by Karen (thank you!).
I cut out petals and stitched them together, adding a little shading to the edges with an ink pad. 
Finally I added a button to the centre and crinkled the petals for a natural look.  I used No Sew fusible web so the petals have some stability.  I don't know whether to take a crocheted flower as well although it is a patchwork and quilting class not a crochet class!
Made from yarn from Toft Alpaca yarn, bought at a wool fair a few years ago. Unfortunately the moths got at the scarf I made. I've got cedar wood in my pure wool stash now.
This one is from linen yarn from Quince and Co.
It became part of some curtain tiebacks but I also made a dress from the same yarn for a knitted rabbit.
The pattern is from Little Cotton Rabbits. She has lovely, lovely patterns and a blog (see my side bar)

Well, after a brief lull the snow is falling again so I'm going to do a few chores and then settle down for a quiet day making egg cosies and stitching down some leaves on my Spring Quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment