Tuesday 30 October 2018

Loving that heart warming feeling of a finished quilt

It's always a bittersweet moment when you finish quilting something you've loved doing. Yesterday was one such day though.

A little embroidered strawberry and the date. (Not so easy to see as the backing is quite patterned) That was from Chester le Street Market in the 1990s!)

I've so enjoyed this quilt made from recycled clothes and linens. The Bishop's Fan pattern took some stitching but the effect is lovely. I used Coton a Broder and did quite large quilting stitches. It's not very big (about 45" square) which is probably good because it was quite hard-going on the hands, pulling the thick cotton through all the layers. It reminds me of a quilt that my grandma made. I'm keeping this one. It will look good in John's old room, draped across a chair.

So both my babies are moving house now. Alex and Will are on the final push, decorating every surface! Their wood burning stove has been fitted and the carpets are being laid this week. They should be moving from the rented house in a week.

John has sold his house and had an offer accepted on the house that they looked at in the summer. They will almost certainly be in by Christmas too. Now they have their own houses I'm going to make sure they take all their stored stuff from the attic! Yes I still have stuff belonging to John in my attic despite the fact that he moved out in 2012. No excuse now though his new house has its own big attic.

I was browsing the internet and found this quilt shop in America - pop over and have a look. What you can do when you have a lot of space in your shop!

Temecula Quilt Company  (they have an interesting mystery quilt going at the moment if that floats your boat)
I've never seen a bed in a quilt shop before. There used to be a little room in a quilt shop in Clitheroe that had stuff set out round an old fireplace which was interesting but you had to be careful how you walked around. I don't think it is there any more, it must have been 20 years ago that I visited it. Too far away for general purchases!

I''ve been getting on with the November and December Mini-quilts (raiding my stash) and look what I found for November!
I bought it for my cousin's 40th birthday quilt and decided not to use it in the end. He's 58 now so it's been waiting a while for a good home! It seems perfect for the firework picture I have for November.

I've been sorting through the Christmas stuff for some orders I have for Christmas stockings. I'm so disappointed with the Christmas colours that are around (and have been for the past few years) Pink? Purple? Turquoise? What's all that about? It's like having snow scenes for July Birthday cards - keep the seasons I say! Luckily I have some pieces that are big enough for stockings so I'll be able to get on with some designs and have them sent off in time.

It's been quite chilly here over the weekend so I have a little pile of quilts and crocheted blankets to keep me cosy although I have had the heating on during the day too.

Anyway, onwards and upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment