Wednesday 3 October 2018

Storage - you are about to reach your capacity

The first computer I bought needed a floppy disk to tell it that it was a computer and how it should start up (an Amstrad).

Actually we had an early computer that my father bought for the boys that had a tape cassette with instructions on it, much of which he had written himself (a Sinclair). 

Mine was basically a word processor (with two styles of font, Arial and Times New Roman). It only stored on to disks of 1.44Mb.  I also remember my father taking me to his work and showing me the computer room - air conditioned and with huge spinning tapes. The room was probably larger than my house area. Now we  have more capacity on our mobile phones.  Even my little laptop has what is considered a puny hard-drive of 120Gb and it keeps telling me it is reaching capacity so I now have external hard drives and cloud capacity - where will it all end?

The problem is my collection of fabric, yarn and associated paraphernalia. I can't store that on a cloud drive.   
Will it look like this one day? My sitting room was beginning to resemble one of those hoarder programmes with bags and boxes, especially since I went to the Birmingham Quilt Festival this year but also with 'things I'm working on' and can't possibly put away. Under-bed storage has well and truly reached capacity.

I feel really privileged to be able to afford to buy and use such beautiful materials but get quite anxious about not being able to use it all before I shuffle off this mortal coil. My children know that it is to be donated to a list of people and charities so that none goes to waste which is comforting.  It's also wonderful to be able to make and give away quilts and other things to people who don't have the opportunity to buy or make their own comforting quilts. But still my cupboards fill.

I often wonder what our brain capacity is. Sometimes mine feels like it is reaching its limit as well. I comfort myself that, even though some things are reaching their storage limit that fabric, lovely fabric is still a two way street. I just need to keep stitching, keep doing the thing I love so much, like loving my beautiful family and friends - there is no limit to what I can give.

So now I'm going to spend my Wednesday morning wisely by making a project bag in these lovely linen/cotton fabrics
that I bought at the Festival of Quilts, for my Zauberball Cotton Blanket which is the most lovely drapey, cottony, luscious yarn. One square takes about twenty minutes, including unpicking time (dammit) and sewing in the ends. How can I make so many mistakes in a simple square?

The colour is morphing from deep blue/grey to purple now as I work through the ball, at the centre I can just discern some soft sage colour. Each square is about 3" before being blocked.
I'm going to do a Join as You Go sashing in between the squares. Set 12 x 12 it should come out at about 42". This is enough to adorn the back of a sofa or soft enough to fold into a triangle for a large shawl on cooler evenings.

Wednesday mornings are pottering housework/prep work for class on Thursdays. It's nearly 9am and the sky is brightening from its very dull start. Outside the traffic is getting louder as everyone goes about their daily business.  And now it's time to go about mine.
Computers, fabric boxes, brain - prepare for more input - storage capacity Ha! I laugh in the face of limits!



No comments:

Post a Comment