Wednesday 2 May 2018

Baby Quilt update

Well - I finished this in record time, only to discover that the baby isn't due until 16th June! Well my babies were both premature so you can never be too careful. Not wishing of course for any untoward births of course!
Now that I know there is more time I'm going to do some embroidery around the edge.  Amy doesn't know what sex the baby is - hence the absolutely neutral colour. I loved this quick project and the quilt is so clean and crisp but my soul is craving for colour. It's nice to know you have a quick pattern in hand though.  I'm going to wash this quilt a few times before I give it to Steph because it isn't very 'drapey'. I used 100% white cotton which was quite hard to hand quilt and it is very much firmer - more like a machine quilted finish. I decided against the very soft wadding in favour of the practicality of pure cotton.  I think I might just make a girly quilt for me with the Quilters Dream Orient wadding, I don't mind hand washing precious things.

I discovered why I thought I had made a cutting error.  I didn't put sashing on the end squares.
You don't notice from a distance, it was only when I started quilting that I realised. But I'm not going to tell if you don't! That comes from seeing an picture and cutting before you actually think it through properly.

I've been experimenting with a bag pattern - it is still easier to get the coloured pencils out and draw it on a piece of paper but I'm persevering, especially since I discovered that I can save things as 'assets' which can be used in any document created. This helps for things like buttons and hearts and little flowers.  It is especially helpful for documents when I want to do instructions for half square triangles and flying geese, or any other shape. If I made each set of instructions individually it would take hours. This way it's like cutting and pasting from my very own 'Clipart'
It probably won't look exactly like this but I wanted to do something a bit flowery - even if the seasons are mixed. Originally I had a little picket fence and a birdhouse but I moved them out of the way in favour of pretty maids all in a row. There is a little stash of fabric left over from the folded stars I made a while ago.
I'm hoping there is enough for the bag. I just need to find where I put it of course. That may take some time!

I have a bunch of household things to catch up on so won't have much time to craft today before work  but I know I'll feel bad if I continue to live in the mess which seems to pile up when I'm engrossed in a quilt.

I made scones last week for class and in doing so discovered why I don't do it more often. John makes lovely light scones - mine are more like hockey pucks. They tasted ok but they needed lashings of butter.
Date and pecan on the right and cheese on the left. The recipe was from my trusty Be-Ro book and said that it made 10 scones. I made a separate batch for each flavour - in this day of giant scones the mix would only have made three or four. We were reminiscing how small scones used to be, which makes you wonder how many calories are in the ones that are heaped in luscious piles underneath glass domes in coffee shops. My mother and I used to share one between us.

So Will is off to work and the house is mine for four hours. Where on earth shall I start?

No comments:

Post a Comment