Wednesday 9 May 2018

Simple design for a new project bag.

I've been playing with an idea for a new project bag.  I wanted to make a bag with a quilted linen base and some appliqué flowers. I started with different ideas but couldn't quite get it together as I liked it. The appliqué didn't seem to flow so I abandoned the more complicated design for a much simpler stitchery panel and this is what I'll be doing this morning.  Inspired by the cushion I made at the weekend....
I spent my happy hour this morning sewing hexagons to the base of the bag. Thank goodness for Frixion heat sensitive pens - I couldn't get the lines in the right place for some reason. The markings are the third attempt, the first two being ironed off in some disgust. The last version was closer but as you can see the lines still didn't match up!
Thankfully they all disappear miraculously when they get a blast of steam from the iron. 

Two pens that I have only had relatively recently - Sewline white marker for darker fabrics and the heat fading Frixion pens.
They make such a difference. I've tried all sorts of things over the years but kept going back to my trusty 2b pencil. But you can't make mistakes with it and sometimes the marks don't wash out. 

So then - back to the bag design -instead of this -
-  I'll be transferring this simple stitchery to the front of the bag (and back actually) later this morning
The appliqué design needs a lot more work and will be stored away for later when the inspirational juices are flowing better.  These flowers will go into my Assets Panel for future use.  Although they only took an hour or so to construct it is useful to click on to them for future designs, even if I do tweak them so that they don't all look the same. I suppose that's the disadvantage of having a computer library - you lose the organic feel to the drawings.

I had some lovely afternoon tea with friends on Monday and met, quite by chance someone from way back in my youth.  Forty five years ago I made my first parachute jump - the pilot that flew the plane was there with some mutual friends. We spent a lot of time reminiscing of course although it was quite sobering to find out how many long lost friends have died of old age. Oh dear! Let's not dwell on that too much.

I have errands this morning, a quick trip to the accountants, some shopping for the clinic and some household tasks too before I start work this afternoon, but one thing is for sure - the stitchery will be marked up and started today. 

How different my life is now with its cosy domestic minutiae. I'm grateful for the contrasts and experiences of my years, very grateful.



No comments:

Post a Comment