Sunday 22 July 2018

I am cut out for this!

It's been a hard couple of weeks at work and I've hardly had any time to stitch.  I've managed to crochet some more squares for my little chair backs,  but finally this week I managed to make a little bag from a pattern I bought a couple of weeks ago.  I had the material chosen but just didn't have time to pull everything out.  Once I got started it was a quick and satisfying make.
Very soon I had the simple version made up.
It is just perfect to store my crochet pieces neatly.

Simple pattern, good instructions, thank you Sandra Paul of Cherry Heart.

I've been dithering about going to the Festival of Quilts this year.  It's been about four years, maybe five since I went. I managed to get a good deal on the train last time (it's about a three and a half hour journey by car - so seven hours if I want to do it in a day). No such luck with the train this time - over £200!

When I went in search of fabrics to make another little bag I was reminded of how much beautiful fabric I actually own. Do I want to spend lots of money to get more? I would feel a lot less guilty if I just went through my stash and used some of that. I might yet decide to jump into the car and go but I really, really don't need to!

I came across some lovely linens I bought about three or four years ago when Karin and I went to our nearly annual trip to the Sandown Quilt Festival.  Very quickly another bag was, well, in the bag. I love it!

I might send this down to Karin but will probably make another one the same!

My love affair with linen and lawn is not over yet though. Inspired by one of Sandra's bag designs I made some hexagons in Tana Lawn whilst watching the F1 this afternoon.  This is going to be a cover for my little sewing machine. A trusty Light-Weight Singer.
There are going to be words, embroidery, and other embellishments on this.  Watch this space!

Cakey loveliness this week took the form of Chocolate Orange Shortbreads.


Gooey and sweet - yum.  Not as orangey as I expected seeing as there were 5 oranges in it. I think a little more rind and some lemon juice for the sharpness.  I managed to give away some spares so I didn't have them in the tin beckoning to me!

It's been a bit like Piccadilly Circus at home today so I haven't managed to do as much as I wanted to but there are still a couple of hours of daylight left so I'll do a little more stitching and make sure there are things to pick up during my magic hour before work.

I've made enough squares for the first little crochet blanket and have started sewing them together and  have prepared the fabrics for the August Mini Quilt so that will keep me occupied this week.  The boys are coming to stay next weekend so I won't be doing much stitching then.

Going through my stash reaffirms the love I have for quilting. I am so very definitely cut out for this sort of thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment