Thursday 13 September 2018

All about the Brain this week

It aches. Oh how it aches. I think all my neural pathways are turning into cul-de-sacs. Or should that be culs-de-sac? See how it is this week. After a major meltdown of the server at work (now a new one in place) during which we were without any idea of who was coming in, (bless all of them for their patience) -  it took three days and quite a large sum of money to get back up and running.  We're there now. I can't imagine what it must have been like when the NHS system went belly-up. Luckily we had back-up systems in place.....

Maybe last night wasn't the time to write instructions for a new pattern. But I did. Great, one thing ticked off the list.
When I got up this morning I read it over and realised that I'd calculated the amounts for a double bed not a single. I couldn't get my head round it this morning but I think I've cracked it now. The pattern and my brain. I hope no-one asks me to rub my belly and pat my head anytime soon as I'll probably implode.

I need to sit in a dark corner and rock just now. Or I could sew some more leaves on to the Spring Quilt. That sounds like a much better idea.
 A little caterpillar of pink 'berries'
all sewn in place - just another dozen or so to do and a few leaves and I'll be ready to layer up. It might in be ready for next Spring!

I've been browsing through my pictures of the things that the class has done recently
Karen made this quilt top in double time for her son ready - it's ready to be layered and quilted
 Joanne is making a quilt for a baby with lovely soft pinks and greys.
This by Karen was from another class but she brought it along to show us.  Her work is stunning.
Ann keeps us all entertained with her wacky sense of humour.  Marilyn has just finished her bag (in the last post) and is getting back to her Spring Quilt although she is making the Rail Fence from the above mentioned pattern for a Christmas present. 

The others are making various things which I haven't got photos of including a beautiful Durham Quilt (1 of 2 she is making for twins).  It's always a joy to work with them.

I was tidying out a cupboard the other day and came across this little wooden cupcake I painted ages ago.

It's on the wall now next to the cooker. That's an Aloe Vera plant you can see in the picture - very handy for burns. Usually called upon to do its duty on a Sunday when I'm batch cooking and making Sunday lunch!

So the bake for this week was going to be Coffee Kisses but then I realised most of the ladies drink tea and may not like coffee flavoured biscuits.  I think only two of us at work drink coffee as well so I thought I would make Nutella Kisses but a little mouse (called Will) must have finished the jar. So now they are Peanut Butter Kisses and some Vanilla Kisses for those who don't like peanuts.  The buttery, vanillery smell wafting from the kitchen is heavenly. 
 As if they weren't sweet enough I dusted the tops with icing sugar.
These were made to be eaten today. I made some for tomorrow but haven't iced them. I want to see if they are still crisp on the outside after 24 hours. It would be good if they were because I can make them the night before for our Macmillan Coffee Morning. I don't fancy being up to the eyes in icing sugar at 6am!

So now I'm off to have a quick cuppa and then on to the class. Another week, another month, another year nearly over - time goes past in the blink of an eye.



No comments:

Post a Comment