Wednesday 5 September 2018

Hidden Treasures

Tidying my quilting supplies has had its benefits in many ways. I found some red linen and other Christmassy bits that I'd got at the Knitting and Stitching Show in Harrogate last November. Little buttons and tiny pegs along with some pretty bias binding.
I also went into the loft to put away my suitcase (it's only been sitting in my bedroom since the end of June). There I spied a box of plaids that have been waiting patiently to be turned into some cosy creation.  Added to the Layer Cake I got at Birmingham this year I can feel a cosy plaid quilt coming on.
What I need to do this weekend is clear the decks and have a marathon cutting session.  When everything is organised and ready to go (cutting is my least favourite part of the quilt) there is no excuse not to be doing something.

I only got one more line of Baptists Fans quilted this weekend. We finished work later on Saturday and everyone descended so we spent a happy afternoon chatting whilst Max completely dismantled the sitting room.
Poor little mite has now got tonsillitis and his eardrum has burst (again). His grommets fell out last year and it looks like they will have to put some more in. His Autism diagnosis is complete now and although we can see developments his abilities remain painfully behind his age expectations. He never seems to get a break. At least now he has a formal diagnosis he'll get extra support at nursery, he's so quiet and in his own little world it is easy to leave him alone which is not what he needs. Every little step of progress is wonderful to see and Ben is so lovely with him - it pulls your heartstrings to see them together.

Today I have baked a Malteser Traybake.
If you want to make this you will need:

100 grams butter
200 grams milk chocolate
45 grams golden syrup
200 grams digestive biscuits
approx 100 grams of your favourite sweet, i.e. Maltesers, Crunchie etc
Melt the butter, chocolate and syrup in a bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water.


Chop the sweets roughly, you need to be able to recognise which sweet it is. Crush the digestive biscuits into small pieces.
Leave the melted chocolate mixture to cool a little before pouring over the biscuits/sweets and stir well to mix. Press into a 20cm lined tin.  When cold carefully cut into 8 pieces. You can double the recipe very easily if you need to.
I also drizzled the top with white chocolate for a little extra decoration.  You can use the base mix and add all sorts of things, mini marshmallows, fudge pieces, dried fruit and nuts - the list is endless! The addition of fruit, nuts and pudding spices would make a lovely Christmas version.
We are having a Macmillan Coffee Week at work from 24th to 28th September.
With a captive audience of patients who sit either waiting to be treated or relaxing after a treatment from 9.30am to 6pm for three practitioners - we should be able to get some funds for Macmillan. Added to that any passers-by are welcome to drop in. So we are practising some pretty cakes and biscuits. The fact that the Great British Bake Off is giving me ideas is great and this week they made traybake!

So now I'm going to fold some newsletters for work and then do a bit of planning using my hidden treasures, before Will comes home for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment