Wednesday 29 August 2018

Feeling a bit overwhelmed

Maybe I shouldn't have decided to see how many quilts I had yet to finish. The problem with teaching quilting is that you have to keep on going, week after week with new designs and samples. That's when it all starts to build up. And up. And up.  We were talking about making boy quilts and this is a pattern I put together a little while ago.  I decided to call it Flow Chart.
I bought the fabric. I don't know how long ago but it could be a year. It's still in a bag waiting to be cut. The measurements are all done but the pattern is not written yet. I can do that in a couple of hours. I probably will do that today but as I was searching for inspiration for tomorrow's class I began to feel a great weight sitting on my shoulders. I have so much stuff. I'm overwhelmed. Should I go on sorting or should I bury my head in the sand?

I think I might do a free pattern for this. It's fairly common though,  I think. Is it worth doing yet another pattern for it?

There are just not enough hours in the day to do everything but if I give up working I won't be able to afford to go out and buy lovely fabrics. But I have lots of lovely fabrics I don't need any more, probably for the rest of my life! Going round in circles here. Ever decreasing circles.

It was a fairly peaceful Bank Holiday weekend and I got quite a lot of quilting done on the Worn and Washed project
There are eleven strips and six are quilted. It's not a huge quilt and I think I will keep it for my house. I also got to grips with the little bag kit I bought at the Festival of Quilts.




It was a lot of money for a little bag but there is not quite enough fabric to finish it and, when I had quilted the front and back it was smaller than the pattern shape so I had to adjust it. The joins of the handle are covered with little domes and there isn't a sufficiently large piece of fabric left to do this.

I'll have something that will go with it somewhere in my stash but I'm quite angry that the fabric supplies were quite so skimpy.  Lynette Anderson colours are very muted and not easy to match with today's more vibrant shades. Sigh.

Claire is on holiday from work until Tuesday (I thought it was at the end of September not the end of August) so I have to cover the late shift on Thursday which means I won't be able to teach this week. Well I had planned to get everything sorted today, some goodies baked and then take it to work and leave prompt at six tomorrow but John has just rung to say his MOT has run out and he needs a lift today, tomorrow and Friday so I can't leave prompt at six. That means I don't have to panic about getting stuff printed and made but then I let Hilary down as she has to take the class or call round and cancel it. Shoulders sag some more.

I have a cartoon book somewhere - it must be fifty years old. It belonged to my father.
In it there is a cartoon of Andy with a big pile of garden tools making his way out into the garden with Flo looking on in surprise. The next sketch is Andy returning saying "I didn't know where to start so I didn't".  

As John (and my mother before him) says - "the trick is to just start".  I'd better go and get some clothes on then.

No comments:

Post a Comment