Thursday 9 August 2018

Running out of things to finish - don't panic

There was a long list of things to do this week. I've had a marvellous time pottering and stitching, I have to say it's been one of the most relaxing weeks I've had for a long time.  Yesterday I finished the little heart for Baby Eve
She was the recipient of the grey and white quilt I made way back in June,
Her mummy didn't want to know what she was having (I would love to have made a pink quilt - so many blue ones recently). I made the heart with a similar 'fabric' pattern on it:

I also made some more cushion covers for the big sofa cushions as they get laundered regularly because they are cream and my farmer son sits on them at lunch time.  They have been cut out for quite some time so it was good to get them into use and retire the tatty ones.  

A quick trip to the garden centre for some more herb pots led to lunch out and another cheesecake. Two this week now and it's still only Thursday. The chives have outgrown their little pot and are in dire need of a larger space. I like the pots right outside my back door so that I can snip off what I need, fresh and tasty.  I'll get those potted up today. It's a littler cooler which is a relief for me. I'm definitely not a hot summer person. 

With so many things crossed off my list I'm getting a little worried that I will run out of things to do. That was until an idea which has been rattling around in my head made it to my little jotter yesterday.  
I'll sit for a while today translating that on to my computer.  My Bernina is very heavy. Very, very heavy. I am afraid by lifting it here there and everywhere it will crack the handle, which seems to be one of the weak points (a friend had to get hers replaced where it cracked).

I want something that acts as a case (pretty of course) and a practical cover - i.e. storage for all the accoutrements but doesn't require lifting out of a bag.  I bought a beautiful Bernina bag when I got the machine but it gives me a hernia every time I try to lift the machine out of the bag. I have to do it in two stages!  That and it scrapes along the ground because the handles are long and I am a short-bottom.

This is going to be a short handled, pocket filled case which opens flat to reveal a mat so that I can push the machine around the table when I'm snipping and pinning and little area for scissors and pins, plus a nifty little thread catcher device so my vacuum cleaner doesn't need serious maintenance every time I've had a stitch-fest. Gosh that was a long sentence.

So now I don't need to panic that I will run out of things to do because that will keep me going for quite some time. That and the miles of fabric I have lurking around the house, just crying to be made into gorgeous things.


No comments:

Post a Comment