Thursday 23 August 2018

Design Fun with Inspiration from talented quilters

Early mornings are classed as my Golden Hour.  When there was a house full of noise this was the time when I could gather my thoughts, do little quilty tasks or just sit quietly. It's not so noisy now - maybe not as quiet as I expected - but still not so noisy. I still enjoy my golden hour though and yesterday I came across a lovely quilt in the making (sadly I can't remember where and I can't see it in my surfing history). The block intrigued me so I set out to re-create it.
I have no idea what it is called but I have named it Binary Star for this. Essentially it will act as a log cabin block for an overall pattern with a light 'triangle' and a dark one. I'm not sure how big it is but the pattern I have written will make a ten inch block although it could be scaled up to make a 15" block.

Progress on the Worn and Washed Quilt is coming on apace although my hand is quite sore from pulling the thick cotton through. I also speared my finger but the metal thimble has allowed me to quilt without too much discomfort.
This is an all over pattern called Baptist's Fan. It got me to thinking I will hand stitch the quilt I have stored ready to machine quilt (I'm naff at machine quilting and it really annoys me - ha!). I made a quilt a little while ago which had a really simple all over quilt pattern.
It was simple to mark and quick to sew.  This is good because the quilt in question is quite large.  Over the Bank Holiday weekend I am going to frighten myself and get out all the quilt tops waiting to be stitched. I can think of seven (hangs head in shame). I think there may be more (hangs head in shame again).

At the moment I can smell warm hazelnuts and chocolate as the cakes bake for class tonight and for the clinic staff tomorrow. The icing is made and I'm going to make a nice big cup of builder's tea before I print the instructions for the Binary Star Block. I have an hour and a half before I'm due to teach - what shall I do with all that time?

No comments:

Post a Comment