Sunday 12 August 2018

Cinderella went to the Festival

An early morning knock on the door and Steph greeted me with the special surprise that she was going to drive us down to the Festival of Quilts. I had decided against going because I wanted to do it in a day but was worried that it would be too much to be driving  for seven or more hours and walking around a crowded hall for 3 or 4 hours.

Steph's car is much more comfortable than mine for a long journey and I knew that if it got too much I had someone there to help.  My back is much stronger now and rested after a week off work.  In the end we managed fine.  We left at 07:15 and arrived at about 11:00.  We had a quick coffee and got our electric elbows out.
Lynette Anderson was there and I bought one of her books - kicked myself afterwards for not asking her to sign it! A little stack of fat eighths and a bag kit also sneaked in to the purchases.

Actually it wasn't crowded so we didn't need our electric elbows!
We broke for lunch about two - Steph had a beef burger with pulled pork and I had a chicken breast with avocado and mint dressing.  They were served with a little bucket of chips, some gorgeous onion rings and a little dish of red cabbage slaw.  Not a leaf of disgusting iceberg lettuce in sight either. We met with lovely Karen in the cafe and then, refreshed, we set out again.

I got some Kimono fabric from Euro-Japan Links, some lovely Christmas fabric and a kit for Il Mondo di Pezzi from Italy. Oh, and some gorgeous linen and a cushion kit.


I felt a bit ripped off by a kit I bought to make a little box
which turned out to have some instructions and card and a packet of tissues.
I was expecting the little metal 'book' corners and, for the price, wouldn't have been surprised to get the fabric as well. Hey ho.

A little vintage fabric stall was perched on a corner and I got a beautiful fine-spun oval piece, with delicate pulled threads and lace. I also got some old sheet music and a little bag of mixed lace - all for £1 each!  £3 in total.


Steph wanted to see the 'Worn and Washed' stall which we found and drooled over.
She got a roll of fabric to make a lap quilt (her second from Worn and Washed) and I was reminded that I had a pram cover sized quilt ready to bind and a lap quilt layered and pinned ready to quilt.  Hangs head in shame.  When I got up this morning I got them out and will have them done very soon.

The desire to make something from my stash of goodies got the better of me and I spent a happy few hours making the linen cushion.


I like to hand embroider so the heart and quilting were done by hand but the rest was made on the machine.
 Voila!
This may spawn a whole new colour scheme in one of my rooms -just not sure which one though.

This little bag from Lynette Anderson will be the next project on my needle
I was  so inspired by all the amazing products and all the quilts on display - a few hours at this show is just not enough to appreciate all the fine work that people do.  I deliberately buy only things that I can't get from my local quilt shops because I really appreciate their hard work and investment on my doorstep.

I went to bed last night just after eight and slept nearly the clock round, only woken at about 4am by the luscious sound of nourishing rainfall. Most of today was sunny but now the rain has started again, the sort that soaks into the ground and refreshes the thirsty plants, not a deluge and not a light shower.

Such a lovely week. I'm reinvigorated and ready to start work with gusto, like the poem 'visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads' - my visions are of fabric and threads - just as sweet to me.  

Thanks Steph for taking Cinders to the ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment