Wednesday 8 August 2018

Finishing a few things

My butterfly mind tends to jump from project to project. I'm not one of those people who can put their head down and finish what they've started before embarking on other things.   So I was pleased today to finish my embroidered sewing machine cover.


I really enjoyed doing this.  It was made for my little Singer machine which I tend to use when I'm piecing samples.  The Bernina is used for more serious projects - partly because it is so heavy to lift on and off the table.  The Singer only came with a papery little cover which lets in the dust through the opening for the handle so this particular cover is just that - a cover.  I didn't measure it properly and had to cut off chunks and add bits, but I now have a working pattern which can be converted for any machine. I loved working on the embroidery.

I like to work on the dining room table because it is large, has plenty of handy electrical points for irons and task lights and I can have a background hum from the television or what's going on in the house. I can also load up washing and drying, hang out clothes and do the odd bit of cooking at the same time. It makes for an efficient use of my free time.

I made an effort to finish the letters for my BAKE sign too.




I stuck them on with those little strips that you just pull when you want to take them off so as not to damage the wall.
I only use my phone camera for taking photos so you will have to take my word for it that they are a lovely duck-egg blue to match the bunting over the far window.  I'm not normally one to match everything in - you know - get new toasters and kettles every five minutes.  The kitchen is also a working place and quite small so I don't like to clutter up the surfaces but I don't want it too clinical!

I'm looking after the children this afternoon while Steph covers my shift at work but I have a few more things I'll finish before I go to their house. Ben is at an activity week so needs to be collected at three.   There are some clouds in the sky at the moment and the air feels fresher than it has of late but hopefully we'll be able to play in the garden.
Talking of gardens I'm loving my fuchsias in the hanging basket outside my front door. The purple and pink ones are dominating the paler ones though.

Will is just letting the hens out so there is a huge amount of clucking and henny fussing going on.  He is like Doctor Dolittle - the animals just flock round him.

So I'm going to make some coffee and toast for my breakfast and tick a few more things off my list. Maybe dusting will be one of them, maybe....


2 comments: