Thursday 27 December 2018

And then it was over

I sit here on 27th December - waiting for my friend to come over for some crafting and chatter. She talks, I listen - there is no other way  - she doesn't come up for breath very often.  Tomorrow I'll be back to work and life goes on as normal.

It seems ages and yet no time since I posted. Our Christmas lunch included Will (Alex had gone to her mother's as her brother was visiting) John, Steph, Ben and Max.  John and I shared the cooking tasks which worked very well.
Ben made the dish with sprouts, bacon and chestnuts which they brought with them as well as a rib of beef, some amazing gravy made with oxtail, bread sauce and glazed carrots. I supplied the turkey and trimmings as well as the potatoes.  John made an amazing chocolate souffle for pudding.

Alex is back now and welcoming a little kitten to their home - Zula from our neighbouring farm.
She was absolutely petrified when Will brought her home and she hid behind the washing machine until they managed to tempt her out with some turkey. She'll settle in well. She is so affectionate and purrs all the time.  Will gave her a good groom with the rabbit's brush and she certainly won't want for cuddles.

I got some wonderful thoughtful presents including a book from Will
and an autographed photo from my favourite F1 driver
and some yarn from John. 15g balls of Scheepjes Stonewashed Aran Yarn to make a blanket
This one, from Cherry Heart, although hers is done in Fingering/4ply and mine will have much larger squares.  I haven't made anything in Aran so I'm looking forward to the speed!  I'll make the coloured squares first then I'll know how much cream yarn to get.  I think I'll get three from each mini-ball.
I'm not going to start it until I have finished Ben's Corner to Corner which is well on it's way and could be done by next weekend if I get down to it.

I finished the Linden Bee Shawl (also by Cherry Heart)

It is so soft and warm, made from Mulberry Silk from Watercolours and Lace.  Next on the agenda is a pink shawl, also from Cherry Heart (just stop making such lovely patterns Sandra - I can't keep up)
This is going to be made from Merino and Silk yarn I got from Dye Ninja.  It's Double Knit rather than 4-ply and involves some stitches new to me as I try to expand my knowledge of crochet.

The Attic 24 Sweet Pea Blanket is still calling to me but I think I will save this for a late Spring project.

Today however, Janet and I are going to make a dog or a bear, I think, from fabric I bought at the Knitting and Stitching Show in Harrogate in November 2017
First I need to clean the hens and get them fresh water and scraps from the fridge - so many scraps! Maybe I better get dressed before I start that - it's nearly 10am and I'm still in my nightie. 

OMG Janet has just texted to say she's on her way - I'd better wash up too or she'll think I'm a proper slattern. 


No comments:

Post a Comment