Tuesday 18 December 2018

Scandi cushions in the making

Thursday 13th:  About two years ago I got a little packet of those 2½" squares that you tend to pick up at Quilt Shows. (I know you're out there - I'm not the only one). I think it may have been three for £10. Well I found the scandi-fabric squares in a little box the other day and decided to make some cushion covers.  One packet barely makes a 12" square when sewn together and I needed four cushion covers. so I made four strips of nine squares and sewed them together with some cream fabric that I had about my person. As you do.
The front was spray basted to some wadding - it doesn't glue up the  needle and is great for small projects. 
A bit of random machine quilting gives a more plumptious front. (Not normally so keen on machine quilting but there's a place for it in certain situations.)
My Frixion pen (one of the best things ever for marking quilt designs) and a quarter inch line gives that little finishing touch to define the strips.
and then disappears under the heat of the iron. So much better than pencil marks which have to be washed out.
Next I made a zippered back and sewed the front to the back.  For extra definition I decided to make a binding, although if I'd had any piping cord I probably would have done that instead.

So - ta dah!!  Cushions for Christmas. I love cushions at Christmas but some are not for sitting on, naturally......  
I have cream sofas (not so good when your farmer son sits on them), so I bought about five metres of cream fabric from Ikea and have made various things to protect the sofas from Max's blackcurrant juice, my sloppy eating habits in front of the telly after a hard day at work, Will's farmy clothes and other spills and stains that would otherwise ruin things. That is why I had two metres of cream fabric in my stash for the cushions, it's not a normal thing. I'll need to go again soon as I'm down to the last metre.  I've been really good at the back end of this year, trying to use up some of the fabric I've built up over the years.  It's great to be able to dig out that right colour but, oh my, it's an embarrassment of riches and would probably go once or twice around the world if I laid it end to end.

So one down and three to go - although everything is cut out and prepared so they shouldn't take too long.

Tuesday 18th: I've had no time to actually sit down, check and publish this post so I'm doing it now before I leave for work.  I've been called in a couple of times to do extra hours for various reasons so this post is incomplete but I thought you might just want to catch up so I'm going to press the button before I leave for work.  Yesterday I got quite a bit done in the morning but got called in just after lunch. I'm working on the last stocking orders to be hand delivered on Friday - OMG just tracing the shape with my trusty template.
I've traced the shapes on to fusible web and will cut them out tonight..... Don't panic Captain Mainwairing!




No comments:

Post a Comment