Monday 27 July 2015

So much time, so little done

I know I'm still at work and the school is closed but this week I seem to have done so little!  I finish on time, I'm not shattered, my brain is not fried and yet I've done hardly anything!
 I worked on the japanese folded hexagons which are about to become a bag.
 Just for reference the sides measure 4"
Laying them out ready to sew together.  It is actually done now except for the final little bit which I want to leave until the ladies in class have seen how to construct the bag. There will be a picture next week. This is a lovely portable little project - ironic that a portable project should have a nice little bag to carry it around - a bit of a chicken and egg situation I think. I've written instructions for these and they will be available for free from Hilary's High Street Quilting and on this blog when I get round to putting them on. (This week I hope). It was very quiet this week what with the holiday season upon us, so those of us who were at the class had plenty of cake to eat. Walnut Whip Whoopie Pies mmmmm.  The swirl on the top didn't quite work because the ganache had set too much, (why, when I want it to set quickly does it take so long though?) but they tasted yummy anyway.

Yesterday I sat and stitched the binding on to my Durham Quilt whilst watching a very exciting F1 race. I always thought racing cars was a matter of putting your foot down and the fastest person won. How wrong I was - I love the strategy, the chance, the sheer determination. It's boring if there is a dominant driver (Michael Schumacher and Sebastien Vettel made it rather monotonous) but yesterday's race was edge of seat stuff.
It was my intention to take this out into the garden and photograph it - you need lots of light to see the quilting.  The photo above was taken with very bright sunshine behind me - hence the shadows, but by the time I had finished sewing on the binding it was pouring with rain and hasn't stopped since. So you'll have to wait a little longer to see the finished thing. I loved stitching it and I love the finished thing, although the sewing together was a little traumatic!  Heyho - you can't have everything.

Hopefully by next week my energy will return and I'll have some finished things to show. I have a lovely stack of fabric in my basket.  It's so beautiful I can hardly wait to get my hands on it, but I'm being patient. Watch this space.....

No comments:

Post a Comment