Wednesday 21 March 2018

Squeezing sewing in between bouts of lethargy

I got home from work on Saturday afternoon and stared at the things that needed to be done. Didn't do them.  I did manage to drag my sorry @#!* to the supermarket, hitting the snow storm as I loaded the car
The storm raged during the night- snow clattering against my window. It continued off and on during the day on Sunday but didn't seem to get any thicker.

I couldn't motivate myself to do anything at all. I just wanted to hunker down under a quilt and sleep.
The hens hardly ventured out of their little house and the rabbit just sat and scowled (no change there). Have you ever heard a rabbit growl? I hadn't until we got Scruffy.  He really doesn't like me. I had to hold him back with a broom so that I could reach into his pen and refill his food bowl.

The little Easter Gift bags are finished however,


Sorry about the atrocious quality of the pictures. No light. (naff photographer).  Not content with bunnies on egg cosies and easter bags I decided to update the 'Picture the Year' mini quilt for April which was rather bare on the original.
I decided to add a bunny because I had bunnies on the brain. Despite the fact that I have my very own live Bunzilla - or perhaps because of the that - I wanted a cute one.
First I draw the bunny then a take all the colour away and reverse the shape for tracing on to fusible web. The first motif was too small so I cut out another - with different colours because the colours looked a bit cold. (Ha!) I made his little thumper feet yellow instead.

I couldn't find the original mini quilt pattern for the dimensions so I'm making a new one.  It must be around somewhere. (note to self - organise your electronic and paper patterns better).

After a couple of cutting mishaps I had the mini-quilt ready to embroider.  I always layer it up with wadding before I embroider if possible, as it gives more definition and hides any stray ends of thread.
So instead of a plain umbrella with raindrops a little spring bunny is sheltering underneath the brolly.
The light was appalling on Sunday so I wanted to get sewing before it faded altogether. I should have been making some headway with the housework. There is stitching paraphernalia littering the table. Dishes in the machine which have been in there more than 24 hours because I can't be bothered to empty it. Huge pile of ironing teetering in the basket. How bad is that?

But the bunny is stitched! Later I spent an hour moaning about various things on the phone to my friend, she moaned back and then we just laughed our heads off for being such miserable old chooks!
I stitched the back on and did a little trimming
 I like the new April better than the old.
Complete with a few daffodils- I like the goose with the umbrella too!
So after a couple of busy days at work my mojo is reset. By Wednesday I'm on a mission.  I've washed, ironed, vacuumed, cleaned the kitchen and made some broth for tonight. I'm going to jump in the shower and then settle down to some more appliquéd leaves while I'm waiting for John to pick me up for our evening clinic.  Happy little bunny that I am in the knowledge that there is a lovely bottle of coffee porter waiting for me in the fridge when I get back.

Just before I go let me show you two pictures of some alstroemeria I bought at Aldi for £2.50

Taken on 25th February
Taken this morning - the 21st March - pretty good value eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment