Wednesday 20 June 2018

The saddest of times, the happiest of times

Maybe not quite the accurate Charles Dickens quote but that is what is happening at the moment.
I got a call from my sister-in-law last Sunday (11th June) to say that my lovely brother was in hospital and not expected to live.  He was diagnosed with cancer about a month ago and had decided not to tell anyone straight away.  He had gone into hospital to start treatment but taken a turn for the worse and died early on the Monday morning. I'm glad I saw him and he knew I was there, but I was shocked to see him like that and I'm desperately trying to remember his laughing happy face from days past.   I am bereft. We were born 14 months apart and spent all our childhood and young adult life together. His friends were my friends and vice-versa.  We didn't see each other so often as our family lives and work took up so much time but that bond could never be broken.

His funeral is tomorrow, 21st June. My sister in law is so strong but so very devastated. It's going to be hard.

John, Steph, the boys and Karin left for Spain early on Tuesday morning. Other family groups are joining them over the next couple of days.  The wedding ceremony (part 2) takes place this Saturday, 23rd June and I will fly out early on Friday morning to join them.

It's a strange week, saying goodbye to a talented, warm-hearted and deeply committed family man and wishing joy to another generation of my family, Steph and John getting married; Alex and Will starting a new life together.

I don't ask why, because that would be a pointless question. I don't believe there is a why without a why not. I don't think this life is a test for another.  The good we do is for this life. Richie was a shining example of that. I can see that quality in my sons and grandsons.

That is enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment