Wednesday 8 August 2012

A salad for all seasons

I love raw food.  Not because it's quick to prepare although that is a distinct advantage when you're late home, hungry and tired.  I love it because I feel better when I've eaten it.  You can't always say that about food.  Well I can't because sometimes I eat rubbish. I always regret it but there's something in your brain that craves the sugar, or the salt or the fat and I'm not very strong willed - quick gratification nearly always lead to long term regret. I love salads of nearly every description and this one never fails me, winter or summer.


Gathering the ingredients for today's version:

New potatoes
Chorizo (it's usually smokey bacon)
Gruyere Cheese
Romaine lettuce
Tomatoes
Avocado pear (rare addition)
lemon and oil dressing


I decided to dry fry some pumpkin seeds for texture.  They swell up and are slightly nutty when fried.


Assembled and ready to eat in less than 15 minutes (that includes cooking the potatoes).  A small glass of merlot and a few shavings of parmesan over the top finish the dish perfectly. Light enough for summer and satisfying enough for winter.  Each bite has a nugget of flavour and you can choose your favourite ingredients  for a an infinite variety.  I had one with 'gesiers' instead of cheese and bacon but I'm not sure what they are and not sure I want to know!  They tasted good though.

1 comment:

  1. That looks and sounds like a great dish. I love salads this time of year.

    ReplyDelete